Mini Crab Cake BLT
And as with any recipe the success of the dish comes down to the quality of the ingredients you buy. So this is a good one to make during crab season, which is right about now, when you can get really great quality dungeness crab at your local market. Same goes with the bread and the bacon you choose. I like to use a nice crusty sourdough and a thick cut pepper or maple bacon. While it’s not tomato season I did fine some nice hot house grown campari tomatoes at my local grocery store and of course a really fresh, peppery arugula. Mmmm….I am craving a crab BLT right about now. Good think I have some left over.
1. In a medium cast iron skillet or heavy bottomed sauté pan heat 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil over medium heat and sauté the onions and bell pepper until softened but not browned. Approximately 5 minutes. Place the cooked veggies into a large bowl to cool.
2. Add the crab to the veggie bowl and add in the melted butter, fresh breadcrumbs, Old Bay seasoning, Tabasco, egg, parsley, lemon juice and a little salt and pepper. Combine gently with your hands and form small crab cakes. Roll the crab cakes in the panko breadcrumbs and gently press down to flatten slightly. You can freeze them at this point in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. I like to refrigerate or freeze them so that they set up.
3. In a medium, heavy bottomed sauce pan place 1 Tablespoon of butter and 1 Tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. Fry the crab cakes in batches. Let the first side brown before trying to flip or the crab cake will fall apart.
4. Remove from pan and place on paper towels or on a baking sheet to keep warm in the oven.
1. Put a little bit of the spicy lemon mayo or regular mayonnaise on each slice of Crostini. Top with a little bit of arugula, then 2 slices of the bacon, the tomato and the crab cake.
8 oz lump crab meat
¾ cup finely chopped yellow onion
¾ cup finely chopped yellow or red bell pepper
4 Tablespoons melted butter, plus 1 Tablespoon for cooking
1 1/2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs (approximately 2-3 slices of bread, crusts removed, pulsed in the food processor)
1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
Old bay seasoning
Several dashes of Tobasco
¼ cup fresh chopped flat leaf parsley
Salt & Pepper
1/3 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons Sriarcha
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
Crab Cake BLT Presentation
Crostini – (½ baguette sliced on the diagonal brushed with melted butter and olive oil, seasoned with salt and pepper and baked on 325 for 10-12 minutes)
4 pieces of thick sliced bacon, cooked until crisp and torn into 2 haves
2 tomatoes, sliced
½ cup watercress or Arugula
(8 mini crab cake BLT’s)