Creamy Citrus Coleslaw
A friend of mine recently reminded me that it’s citrus season! She was going to dinner party with a citrus theme to it – such a cute idea. And citrus also happens to go nicely with my January goal of cooking light because citrus adds a ton of flavor to any dish (and acid) without the calories. So off I went to the market to get inspired. I noticed all kinds of oranges are available from the naval orange to mandarins and even one called a Cara Cara which had pinkish color to the actual orange segments. And then there’s lemons. If you haven’t tried a Meyer Lemon before I definitely recommend it. It’s more mild and a little sweeter than a regular lemon. I ended up with some beautiful naval oranges and lemons in my cart and then off I went to the fish aisle to try to come up with something light and delicious. Fish tacos and creamy coleslaw came to mind so I decided to make a citrus slaw. I used two kinds of cabbage for color but you could definitely just use one. And I like a little kick – especially with a fish taco- which is why I added in sliced serrano pepper. If that’s not your thing you can just omit that ingredient. The orange and lemon zest mixed into the creamy mayonnaise with rice wine vinegar and a touch of sugar was absolutely delicious! Who knew? And the addition of orange segments with the slaw really made my tacos sing. The slaw honestly could be a side dish on it’s own or as a side to something like fried chicken or panko crusted chicken. I think this one is new staple in our house!
- 2 Cups - purple cabbage shredded on a mandoline or food processor (loosely packed)
- 2 Cups - green cabbage shredded on a mandoline or food processor (loosely packed)
- 1 serrano pepper, sliced
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
- 1 naval orange, segmented (use the zest for the dressing before segmenting)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 teaspoons orange zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, plus 2 teaspoons lemon juice (about 1/2 a lemon)
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoons fresh black pepper
- In a large bowl combine the mayonnaise, orange zest, lemon zest and juice, sugar, rice wine vinegar, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine
- Fold the cabbage, Serrano pepper and green onions into the dressing and gently mix to combine, just coating the cabbage. Add the orange segments last to the bowl or on the platter as they are more delicate.