Corn and Sweet Potato Salad
Corn and sweet potatoes are an irresistible combination. Plus it’s summertime and you probably have corn coming out of your ears. Okay….that was a terrible attempt at humor but hopefully this recipe for Corn and Sweet Potato Salad hits a better note with you. I call it a salad but it’s really a side dish or a hash. There are many names for it but whichever you choose it’s delicious and easy to make.
Corn is probably on sale by the bucketful where you live as it is here in Northern California so now is the time to find a reason to use it in every dish you can. Summer corn, fresh from the farm, still in it’s husk, is so sweet and tender that you barely need to even cook it. Just cut it straight off the cob and saute it for a few minutes in a little butter and olive oil with some salt and you have a wonderful side dish.
A few of my other favorite ways to use fresh corn are corn soup topped with crab, corn pancakes, and this easy corn and sweet potato summer salad with bacon and onions. I love the combination of the earthy sweet potato with the onion, bacon and corn. You could leave the bacon out if you want to keep the dish vegetarian. But since I’m not – and I happen to love bacon – I added it in for the salty and crunchy factor.
Another reason to try this Corn and Sweet Potato dish is it’s one that you can make ahead and reheat and it will travel well. Perfect for picnics or large family gatherings. I would just add the chopped scallions only at the very end right before serving.
Here’s the step by step on how I pulled it all together:
- Start with the fresh ingredients (corn, sweet potato, green onions, yellow onion) and bacon
2. Then cut the corn off the cobs and set aside.
3. Peel and dice the sweet potato into equal sized pieces about 1/4 inch big.
4. Dice the yellow onion into equal sized pieces
5. Dice the bacon into roughly 1/4 inch pieces
6. Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. When hot add in the diced bacon and cook until starting to crisp a little bit, not all the way.
7. Add the sweet potato and onion to the bacon and cook until tender.
8. Add the corn to the same pan and cook until just tender.
9. Taste for seasoning. Add more salt and pepper, if needed. Remove from skillet and place in a large serving dish and let cool. Top with diced scallions for garnish and serve at room temperature.
- 3 ears fresh corn, husked
- 2 medium garnet yams (sweet potatoes)
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 4 slices good quality bacon
- 1/4 cup scallions (green onions), sliced
- Salt and Pepper
- Crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Remove the kernels from the cobs using a sharp knife and carefully holding the cob upright, slicing downward. Set aside
- Peel and dice the sweet potatoes and onions and set aside.
- Dice the bacon into roughly 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch equal pieces and set aside.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium high heat. When hot add in the bacon and start to render the fat. Then add in the sweet potatoes and onion and season with the salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes (if using).
- Cook mixture until sweet potatoes are tender. Stirring occassionaly with a wooden spoon.
- Add in the corn and cook until just tender. Taste for seasoning and remove from heat into a serving dish to cool.
- Top with sliced scallions and serve at room temperature.